Here's a Packing Checklist for Your USA Trip
For any international trip, packing a suitcase is a task that needs to be meticulously done so that you do not end up paying additional charges for excess baggage at the airport. If you are going to visit the United States of America, you should be aware of the baggage rules and the things you should carry, including vital documents.
Moreover, to secure your trip against unforeseen events like misplaced baggage, opting for travel insurance for USA is an ideal solution. Travel plans are also designed to cover a person’s medical expenses in case of an emergency.
There is no general rule for packing for overseas trips since every traveler’s needs are specific. But there are some essentials that are common for all travelers.
Here’s a complete guide on the things you should pack for your overseas trip to the USA:
- Passport, Visa: These are the vital documents that make you eligible to travel to the US and you will need them as soon as you land in the country. It is advisable that you carry a copy of your passport and save one digital copy as well.
- Flight tickets: For any international trip, it is better to book air tickets weeks before departure. Also, carry your boarding pass and identity proof all through your trip.
- Forex Travel Card: This is one of the highly convenient payment modes for overseas travelers. Get a forex card from your bank or an authorized dealer, a few weeks before your trip.
You must never neglect your health when embarking on an overseas trip. Buying USA travel insurance plan is the first step to secure your health. It will safeguard your travel budget in case of unexpected events like accidental hospitalization, medical evacuation, and injury-related dental expenses.
In addition to clothing, toiletries and other accessories for your trip, remember to carry over-the-counter medicines, first-aid kit, and medicines if you have any allergy or medical conditions like Asthma or Diabetes. Get some zipper storage bags to organize your medicines and gadgets.
You should note that there could be some restrictions or guidelines given by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for carrying medicines to the US. Remember to check them before you leave for the trip. Furthermore, the US government recommends vaccines such as those for Hepatitis A & B, Measles, Varicella, etc. for international tourists.
More Tips to Pack Your Luggage
- Weigh your suitcase: To avoid paying additional baggage charges later, it is better to weigh your baggage using a luggage weighing scale. Ideally, checked-in bags should not weigh over 50 pounds. For overweight bags, the charges depend on the airline and the number of bags. The fee is around 150 USD for the third bag.
- Invest in a lightweight suitcase: Opting for a heavy suitcase will add unwanted kilos to your luggage. Buy a lightweight suitcase instead.
- Label your travel bag: Add identification tags like stickers or ribbons to your travel bag so that you can easily recognize it. It will be helpful when tracking your lost baggage.
- Know the baggage rules: Carry-on bag and checked baggage are two kinds of baggage categories. Checked-in baggage must adhere to the specified dimensions.
- Do not carry prohibited items: Some items that are not allowed on flights include alcoholic beverages, fireworks, scissors, defense sprays, etc. Liquids or gels must go through the 3-1-1 test. That is, liquid items are allowed up to 3 ounces, that is, 100 ml only.
Travel comfortably by following the above-mentioned packing tips and buy the best travel insurance for USA. Choose ‘Explore’ which is a customized travel plan by Religare Travel Insurance.