Know What are the Important Things to Keep in Mind Before Donating Blood
Safe blood is vital for treatment and emergency intervention. It can help an individual suffering from dangerous ailments and also supports various surgical procedures. That is why World Blood Donor Day is celebrated every year on 14 June. The purpose of this day is to make people aware of the need for safe blood and to express gratitude to the blood donors. Donating blood is very important as it ensures that the needy person should have access to safe blood in case of a medical emergency. You can save up to three lives by making a single blood donation. According to the World Health Organization, every year, nearly 117.4 million blood donations are collected globally.
You need to prepare yourself before going for blood donation. Hence, it is necessary to get health insurance beforehand. It offers financial aid to secure you against health-related emergencies.
Any healthy individual can donate blood. However, you should fulfil some basic requirements that are assessed after an initial screening process. The donor should be in the age group of 18-65 years.
An individual suffering from the following medical condition is not allowed to donate blood:
- Blood cancer
- Coronary heart disease
- AIDS, Hepatitis B or C
Blood donation is performed in a seated position and is done under the supervision of an experienced healthcare professional.
Before going for blood donation, be sure to keep the following things in mind:
- Eat proper meal: It is advisable to take a healthy meal and stay hydrated before going for a blood donation to avoid weakness. Do not eat fatty foods before donating blood as it can negatively affect the blood test. Make sure to eat iron-rich food as it helps in increasing the hemoglobin.
- Carry your medical prescription: It is essential to take note of prescribed medicines. A medicine taken for a particular medical condition can hold the process of blood donation. The medical practitioner will take a note of medical history and will examine your weight, blood pressure, and level of hemoglobin.
- Have healthy snacks: Eat light refreshments after blood donation. Be sure to drink enough fluid to renew the lost fluids.
- Take proper rest: Be sure to take adequate rest and avoid rigorous exercise. Follow the instructions as given by the medical practitioner after blood donation. It also includes covering your arm with a bandage for some hours.
- Donate blood safely: In this time of the global pandemic, if you are willing to donate blood, make sure to take preventive measures. Always follow social distancing while moving out, wear a mask, and wash your hands regularly.
Donating blood is healthy as it allows your body to renew the blood within a few weeks. It also helps in clearing the iron deposits in the body that reduces the risk of heart ailments. The blood donation activity is a noble act. It also helps you to improve your quality of life. When a doctor diagnoses you with any disease, you are secure if you have a health insurance cover. It acts as a financial cushion that you must-have.
Religare Health Insurance offers various comprehensive health insurance policies that are affordable. All you need to do is to visit the company’s official website and choose the one that suits your requirements.