The Joy of Motherhood
Motherhood is bliss and comes with its own share of responsibilities as you move to a new chapter of life. It is very important to ensure that the mother and child can access the best of healthcare and for that, it is a sensible idea to invest in the best health insurance plan for maternity care. Maternity health insurance offers coverage for the mother and the new-born and takes care of several medical expenditures. However, before you go looking for the right coverage for your pregnancy, there are a few things that you need to be aware of:
Rider Vs. Separate Plan
Maternity coverage may be included in your existing family health plan or you may opt for a separate policy for the same. Most maternity covers that are included in health insurance come with a waiting period that may even go up to 3 to 6 years. On the other hand, if you opt for a separate policy, you may be able to avail a waiting period of as less as 9 months. This makes an individual plan a much better option.
The degree of coverage offered by the maternity plan might vary but the basic coverage remains the same. The plan you choose should offer you the following in terms of coverage:
- Pre and post hospitalisation expenses: This covers expenses incurred before hospitalisation and post-delivery, for taking care of the mother and new-born.
- Pre and post-natal expenses: These cover childcare expenses, including consultation fees or medication costs.
- Delivery charges and in-patient hospitalisation: This includes the charges incurred for delivery. The total sum insured may vary.
- New-born coverage: This includes expenses for the new-born from the since childbirth.
When Should You Buy Maternity Health Insurance?
As mentioned before, some maternity health plans have a long waiting period especially if they are included in your existing health insurance plan. If this is the route you choose, it would be a good idea to invest in the cover as soon as you get married so that the waiting period is over by the time you decide to conceive. However, a smarter way would be to opt for a standalone policy that has a lesser waiting period, ranging from 9 months to 2 years.
Exclusions in the Policy
Like the inclusions and coverage of a maternity plan, it is equally important to pay attention to the exclusions. While the exact list of exclusions will vary from one plan to the other, some of the most common exclusions are:
- Pre-existing ailments or injuries diagnosed within 48 months before getting your first maternity plan
- Any disease you may contract during the first 30 days of the policy. This does not include conditions caused by an accident
- Non-allopathic treatment courses
- Self-inflicted injury
- Any condition that can be attributed to alcohol or drugs
- Infertility and in-vitro fertilization related expenses
The premium you are required to pay for a maternity health insurance plan increases with age. Hence, it is always a good idea to have your insurance policy in place in time.
Religare Health Insurance offers JOY is a modern maternity insurance plan with the baby cover that will help you address all your uncertainties about this new chapter in your life. JOY is designed to take care of your maternity health insurance needs not just today but tomorrow as well.