Health Insurance to Protect against Health Risks Caused due to Pollution
We have just concluded with the Diwali celebration. But, with time, our ways of celebrating Diwali are getting hazardous for our environment. The National Capital Region is back to its annual encounter with severe air pollution. The air quality index (AQI) in Delhi has touched 500 and health emergency has been declared. The concentration of toxic particles released from fireworks added emission from vehicles, and stubble fires by farmers made Delhi the world’s most polluted capital. There has been a significant increase in the number of patients suffering from airborne diseases. The treatment costs of these diseases, putting people in monetary trouble. Wearing a breathing mask is not enough. Comprehensive health insurance is the need of an hour. Let’s understand why the rise in smog is a wake-up call for us.
Different Types of Diseases that Occur due to Smog
Today, air pollution is one of the major causes of the increase in medical emergencies in India. Smog presents in the atmosphere deteriorating the environmental conditions and giving rise to diseases such as:
- Respiratory infection
- Lung cancer
- Lung disorder
- Heart Ailments
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Skin allergies
- Weak immune system
- Newly born or unborn child get affected
- Shortened life span
How to Protect from Smog?
Smog threatens us all. The government is making its efforts to curtail air pollution. But, being responsible citizens, we should also take below steps to combat pollution-related hazards.
- Wear anti-polluting mask that filters particulate matter whenever step outside
- Use air purifiers that clean the pollutants in the air and release fresh air
- Get car purifiers to secure vehicle’s cabin from dust particles
- Go for carpool to reduce the number of vehicles on the road
- Switch off the vehicles on traffic signals
- Use public transportation
- Follow odd and even traffic rules
Why Health Insurance is a Rescuer?
With the inflating cost of medical treatments, it has become difficult to bear the expenses. Therefore, we all need a health insurance plan with adequate coverage. A sound health cover protects us against the dangerous consequences of air pollution. Below are the benefits that health insurance policy offers:
- Cover pre and post hospitalization expenses
- Provide daycare treatment
- Ambulance cover
- Domiciliary hospitalization
- Cashless treatment in-network hospitals
- Annual health check-ups
- Organ donor cover
- A second opinion from expert doctors
- Lifelong renewability
According to the government data, around 41 cities in India are struggling to breathe right after Diwali. The increase in airborne chronic diseases and skyrocketing treatment costs give rise to the need for health insurance. We at, Religare Health Insurance offers complete protection against ailments that occur due to pollution. The severity of ailments and frequency of incidence falling sick due to smog has gone up. Thus, it’s advisable to get health insurance for you and your family before smog swallows your health and money.