Good Sleep Habits Can Boost Your Immunity
The human body’s immune system is responsible for fighting against foreign bodies like germs, viruses, and allergens present in the environment. In the times we are living today, both young adults and elderly face increased health risks owing to new ailments. So, it is of utmost importance to keep the immune system strong for a healthy life.
Sleep is a natural process that is pivotal in boosting the immune cells. Those people who suffer from sleep disorders are more likely to get sick. Given the hectic schedules we have, all of us deserve a restful sleep at night. Therefore, it is essential to adopt a healthy lifestyle and sleep habits for better immunity.
We share a few tips on how to boost immunity by ensuring a good night’s sleep.
The Link between Sleep and Immune System
Most of us lead a busy lifestyle and sacrifice sleep for finishing work deadlines or household chores at the cost of our health. This is harmful to the body as it creates stress hormones, which can hamper the functioning of the immune system.
Adults require at least seven hours of sleep every day. Poor sleep can lead to health issues starting from lack of concentration and memory problems to serious problems like blood pressure and heart disease. It also makes it difficult for the immune system to function correctly, thus making the body susceptible to various illnesses. With the aid of neurotransmitters and hormones, the brain interacts with the immune system during sleep. Therefore, getting proper sleep and health care is necessary. It would also make one feel refreshed and energetic during the day.
Tips for Sound Sleep
- Set a Sleep Routine: There should be regularity when it comes to sleep habits. Our body tends to adjust to a particular habit or routine. Thus, setting a time for going to bed and waking up at a specific time will help promote good sleep. Also, it is advisable to avoid afternoon naps.
- Exercise Regularly: Scientists say that moderate exercises aid in the regeneration of immune cells. Also, exercises are known to promote better sleep. So, make sure you do simple exercises, including brisk walking, for at least 30 minutes in a day.
- Manage Stress: It is difficult to fall asleep when you are anxious or stressed. It is also true that stress has adverse effects on the body’s immune system. To avoid negative consequences like sleep disorders, you must find ways to keep your mind calm through activities like reading or meditation that encourage good sleep at night.
- Ensure Healthy Environment: For improved quality of sleep, one must ensure there is a comfortable environment. Keep your room cool and dark. Avoid phones and computers as the emission of blue light will keep the brain awake and hamper the production of melatonin - a hormone that controls the sleep cycle.
- Healthy Diet: Just like a fitness routine, following a healthy diet does a world of good for the immune system while also improving sleep quality. Intake of sugar and caffeine does more harm than good. So, replace these food items with healthy options as it will not only boost your immunity but also ensure sound sleep.
Take a step towards good health and keep yourself worry-free about future medical expenses by investing in health insurance plans by Religare Health Insurance. Choose Care, which provides comprehensive health cover for you and your family.