With the global spread of coronavirus, it has become vital to protect yourself. As per the research, people suffering from heart disease, diabetes, and hypertension are at high risk. Looking at current statistics people with covid 19 and pre-existing conditions history have more complications compared to others. Health officials from all over the world have cautioned the elderly patients and people with critical medical conditions are vulnerable to coronavirus. With the global spread of coronavirus, individuals of any age group with severe medical conditions such as diabetes or kidney failure may face serious complications if they are not infected.
Individuals above the age of 50 with heart disorders and diabetes are more prone to get infected with this disease. They are susceptible to get sicker as their immunity is reduced. They may get fever leading to suppressed appetite.
Heart Patients Should Be Extra Cautious
Patients with heart disorders are susceptible to increased complications that are caused by this virus. This includes people with a cerebrovascular disease that includes issues with blood supply to the brain. Individuals with a weak immune system or underlying medical conditions should be cautious. They should self-isolate if they notice any mild symptoms and should take regular medications. The symptoms of coronavirus include high temperature, regular cough, and uneasiness in breathing. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should stay at home for seven days.
With the coronavirus affecting majorly elderly people, it is important to opt for Care Senior- comprehensive health insurance for senior citizens.
Individuals with heart disorder are extremely susceptible to getting severe complications of coronavirus:
- If an individual had a transplant at any time.
- If a woman is pregnant and has a severe heart disorder
Individuals are advised to safeguard themselves by staying indoors and reducing contact with people for another 12 weeks.
Individuals with severe heart disorders should be cautious:
- People with a heart disorder and are above the age of 70 years.
- Individuals with heart and lung disease or chronic kidney disease.
- Individuals with severe heart valve disease. They may feel difficulty in breathing or have symptoms from heart valve issues despite taking medicines.
- If an individual is recovering from open-heart surgery from the previous months. This also includes heart bypass surgery.
- Patients with congenital heart disease including children should be cautious and maintain social distancing.
If anyone falls in this group, it is important to follow social distancing measures and take extra care:
- Coronary heart disease
- Vascular dementia
- Chronic kidney disease
Patients with heart disorders should follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Regularly wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds.
- Be sure to cover your nose while sneezing.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- People with higher risk should maintain social distancing and avoid traveling.
Individuals with heart disorders should be up to date on their vaccines such as those suffering from the flu and pneumonia.
Take medicines as prescribed
It is advised to take medicines as prescribed by the doctor. There are various reports that some heart medicines may increase the risk of coronavirus. If anyone does not take medicines, they may feel worse from their health condition and need immediate medical help. This advice applies to medicines such as ACE inhibitors and ARBs. These medicines are used for treating both heart disorders and hypertension.
During this period, it is important to stay home which may reduce the risk of being exposed to this virus. Patients are advised to consult doctors by a phone call or video conferencing whenever possible.
People suffering from a medical condition should shield themselves. There is no vaccination for this deadly virus. Hence, getting admitted to the hospital can incur huge expenses. Hence, it is important to opt for a health insurance plan. You can opt for Care Senior from Religare Health Insurance for your elderly parents. Their products such as Care, Care Freedom, Super Mediclaim and Care Senior provide hospitalization expenses for coronavirus.
This global pandemic is not going anytime soon. Therefore, it is important to be vigilant for your health and your elderly parents.