Top-Up Plans for Your Health Insurance
A top-up plan is an insurance product that you can opt for with your health insurance plan. It offers you extra protection for the case where you exhaust the sum assured amount of your health insurance, as it extends the threshold limit of your policy, without affecting your budget. Basically, if you run out of the maximum insurance limit of your individual or family health plan, a top-up cover will offer you additional coverage. While many people confuse top-up plans with riders, it is not the case. A top-up plan is the only indemnity scheme that offers regular coverage.
Advantages of a Top-Up Plan
Today, many health insurance companies offer top-up plans with their policies. If you feel that the coverage of your health insurance plan might not be enough, you can opt for the additional sum insured of a top-up plan to help you face any unforeseen medical emergencies. Advantages of opting for these plans include:
- If the total sum assured of your insurance gets exhausted, you can still enjoy peace of mind, as your top-up plan will ensure you are covered for the remaining duration of the policy term.
- A top-up plan gives you the option to enhance the coverage of your policy when you renew.
- Even if you don’t have a basic medical policy, you can still buy a top-up plan.
- A top-up plan can also be bought if you are covered by an employer's health insurance.
The best idea is to opt for a plan that offers a sum insured amount that is equal to the health insurance deductible.
>> Check: What is Health Insurance Deductible?
Features of Top-Up Plans
The exact coverage that you get under a top-up plan may vary with different health insurance companies and policies, but some of the common features are:
- Top-up plans can easily be converted into a basic health insurance plan.
- If both parents are covered under the plan, then their children can also be included in the plan.
- There are no sub-limits or restrictions placed on hospitalization expenses. This includes charges like medical practitioner fees, room rent, etc.
- Every claim-free year makes you eligible for a cumulative bonus on the sum insured.
- Like most family health plans, there is a free-look period of 15 days from the date of purchase.
- Up to a specified age, you do not need to undergo medical screening for getting a top-up plan.
- Most health insurance companies offer the option of lifelong renewability.
- These plans offer tax benefits under 80D of the Income Tax Act.
Coverage of a Top-Up Plan
A top-up plan is basically an indemnity plan that provides the same coverage that you would get under a basic reimbursement plan. Some of the benefits that it provides are: -
- In-patient hospitalization expenses
- Pre- and post-hospitalization expenses for 60 days before and 90 days after hospitalization
- Daycare procedures
- Organ donor expenses
Top-up plans offer a much-needed respite from the worry that your health insurance plan may not suffice. Religare Health Insurance offers ‘Enhance’, a comprehensive top-up plan that you can choose for a term ranging from one to three years. Time to secure your healthcare expenses with Religare Health Insurance!