Buy Health Insurance That Covers Your Asthma Treatment Expenses
Nilesh is a young professional who works in Delhi. A person who has led an active life in his childhood, Nilesh was recently diagnosed with Asthma. He first noticed his health condition when he experienced wheezing and shortness of breath each time he undertook strenuous activities like climbing the stairs or running a distance to catch the Metro train.
There are about 300 million people across the world like Nilesh who suffer from Asthma. Around 1/10th of those asthmatics are Indians. Asthma is a chronic respiratory disease that is caused when the lungs are exposed to allergens resulting in inflammation and constriction of the airways; thereby leading to difficulty in breathing.
Treating Asthma can be quite expensive which is why it is crucial to buy a health insurance plan so that there is no stress factor that can aggravate the condition. Yes, asthmatics should avoid stressors in their life that is one of the major causes besides environmental factors.
Here's complete information about Asthma and how you can safeguard yourself from this disease.
Symptoms of Asthma
The most common symptoms of Asthma include:
- Persistent Coughing
- Production of thick mucus
- Shortness of Breath
- Chest Tightness
Causes of Asthma
Nilesh's condition could be a result of genetic factors, pollution or exercise-induced. However, there are various causes that can trigger Asthma in a person. They are mentioned below:
- Outdoor and indoor air pollution
- Exposure to allergens viz. pet fur, rugs, perfumes, pollens, etc.
- Climate or extreme changes in temperature
- Obesity (especially in adults)
- Emotional stress - anxiety, anger or fear
- Hereditary factors
Types of Asthma
Depending on the person's age and severity of the condition, Asthma can be classified into the following categories:
- Childhood Asthma
- Adult-onset Asthma
- Allergic or Seasonal Asthma
- Occupational Asthma
- Exercise-induced Bronchial Asthma
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder
Asthma Diagnosis and Medication
Besides a physical examination, your doctor may recommend a lung function test including a chest X-ray. Disclosing one's medical history is also important.
Inhalers and Nebulizers are life-saving devices for the treatment of Asthma. The medication for this lung disorder depends on the severity and type of asthma. There are long-term control medications like inhaled corticosteroids that help in reducing the inflammation of the airways. On the other hand, there are quick-relief medications or inhalers that greatly help during an asthma attack by immediately relaxing the muscles.
Tips to Manage Asthma
If you are showing any of the symptoms of Asthma, then you must not delay your visit to the doctor. If neglected, your condition may worsen and lead to a full-fledged asthma attack. During an asthma attack, the airways become narrow and the extra mucus which is produced causes trouble in breathing.
A great deal of self-management skills is essential for a person suffering from Asthma. Follow these steps to ensure you have greater control over your health condition:
- Speak to Your Doctor: Ask your doctor the right questions about your condition so that you get the right treatment.
- Diet Plan: It is highly essential to maintain a healthy weight and thus a good diet plan is a must for managing asthma and its various symptoms. Avoid foods that are allergy triggers.
- Medication: Every asthmatic patient's condition differs from another person in terms of severity and causes. Hence, the ways of treating the disease also varies. Follow your doctor's advice and take the prescribed medicines.
- Minimize the Trigger Factors: Identify the trigger factors that have caused the disease. Take suitable measures to keep away from such factors. For instance, if perfumes or pets are causing irritation, it is in your best interest to avoid them.
- Buy Mediclaim Policy: Stay stress-free by opting for an insurance plan that provides coverage for your Asthma treatment expenses.
Importance of Mediclaim Insurance Policy for Asthma
According to health experts, asthma is not a disease but a chronic condition that should be managed. There is no cure as such and long-term treatment is a necessity.
Expenses for asthma treatment may involve a combination of these – medicinal costs, doctor's fees, costs of medical tests and even hospitalization expenses in severe cases. The cost of drugs for treating Asthma is slightly on the higher side in India. The number of asthmatic patients in our country is increasing due to adverse air pollution levels. At the same time, there is a steep rise in the costs of medicines and healthcare.
Opting for the best mediclaim policy is the right approach towards creating a financial cushion in order to handle the huge medical expenses. Before purchasing any insurance policy, make sure you have sufficient cover that includes a range of expenses that you might incur during your treatment. Make sure your insurer is offering coverage for Asthma as part of health insurance pre-existing conditions if you already have been diagnosed with Asthma. Check for the exclusions, premium costs and renewal period before buying a plan.
Depending on your age, choose a plan that is suitable for you. For instance, get senior citizen health insurance if you are above the age of 60 years.
Breathe easy by choosing health insurance policy from Religare Health Insurance and get coverage for all your asthma treatment expenses.