Gujiyas, gulals, laughter, and happiness all around-that is what Holi is all about. We all love to splash the gulal and indulge in water fights with our dear ones. With the fun in full swing, it is always a good idea to take care of your skin and body.
The colors are made of harmful chemicals such as engine oil, diesel, and alkalis- all of these are extremely harmful to the skin. Some colors are highly toxic and can cause skin cancer. Toxic colors and harmful rays of the sun can cause phototoxic reactions that may even lead to redness. Harmful chemicals such as Rhodamine B, mercury sulfite and chromium iodide are used in making gulal. Not only colors, but drinking bhang is also a popular tradition of holi. Drinking excess bhang can cause increased heart rate, high blood pressure and may affect the foetus in case of pregnancy.
With Holi just a few days away, we bring some of the important tips that you should keep in mind while playing Holi.
- Be sure to cover your skin while playing Holi. Cover your head with a scarf and wear full sleeves clothes and pants so that your skin is not exposed.
- Oiling your hair prevents breakage and seeping of hair into the scalp. Also, make sure to use mild shampoo and hair conditioner to wash your hair.
- Protecting your nail is equally important as taking care of your skin. You can take care of your nails by applying nail paint. Apply a top coat for more protection to prevent staining of nails.
- While playing with colors, there are chances that it may enter your mouth. This may influence the color of the teeth. Make sure to wear dental caps to protect your teeth from damage.
- The health of your eyes is equally important. Make sure to wear a pair of sunglasses so that the color does not enter your eyes. In case, the color enters your eye, do not rub them instead splash some water. Instead, use rose water to avoid irritation.
- Avoid using harsh soap and face wash as they may cause irritation in the skin. Application of a good moisturizing cream after taking bath restores the lipid barrier and relaxes the irritation caused in the skin.
- Apply a mixture of gram flour, milk cream and almond oil in rose water. The paste should be applied where the color penetrates the deepest.
- Application of sunscreen with an SPF 30 all over your body is a must. This will reduce the effect of color on the body.
Holi is one of the popular festivals of India, but there are various risks associated with this festival. Hence, it is important to take care of your skin and overall body. Apart from fun-filled moments and so many memories-playing Holi without precautions can be harmful as it may cause infections and skin problems.
The increasing medical costs can affect your savings; hence, it is a wiser option to opt for health insurance plan. Religare Health Insurance offers comprehensive health insurance plans that are affordable.
This Holi stays safe and create memories that last forever.